Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mmmmmm lasagna!

I made the lasagna and it turned out perfect! Here is the recipe I used, slightly adapted from my Mom's recipe. Which I will say is my favorite. I am getting better!!!

Ingredients:
1 package of hot sausage links (6 links total).
1 lbs ground beef
1 large package on baby Portobello sliced

2 cans of tomato sauce - my favorite is the Garlic & Herb by Hunts, the one way down at the bottom and usually the cheapest.

1 package of lasagna noodles (not cooked)

1 large container of cottage cheese
1 C Parmesan cheese
1 C shredded mozzarella
2 eggs

I made a "red sauce" with the meat and mushrooms, and a "white sauce" with the cheeses and eggs. Here is what I did exactly.

Red sauce:
1 C of water into large skillet. Add sausages. Cook 5 min on one side, 5 min on the other side while covered on medium-high heat. Then remove the cover, and toss most of the liquid. Cook another ten minutes total, turning 1/2 way until both sides are browned. Then remove from pan, leave the delicious goodness on the bottom of the pan. Add the ground beef. Add oregano, salt and pepper (to taste). Slice the sausages. When brown, add mushrooms, and cover again. Leave covered until mushrooms are done, add back in the sliced sausages. Then I let it cook for another 2-3 minutes to cook-off some of the liquid. Add 1 can of tomato sauce.

White sauce:
Mix 3 cheeses and 2 eggs. Add oregano and pepper. I didn't add any salt here since there were so many cheeses. This should be a pretty thick sauce.

Layering in 13x9 pan:
I put 3 large scoops of white sauce on the bottom. Maybe 1 cup total (it didn't cover the bottom completely). Then added uncooked noodles lengthwise. 3 long ways and 1 to finish off the end. Next I added a 1/2 of the red sauce, topped with 1 cup of white sauce. Add more noodles in the opposite direction. Add the second 1/2 of the meat sauce, and the last of the cheese. Top with noodles in the same directions as the first layer. Shake on more Parmesan cheese, then add 1 full can of tomato sauce to the very top. Shake down the sauce so its fully covered all over. Top with mozzarella. Cover with foil. Cook covered in foil for 1 hour. Then cook uncovered for 25 min or so. Until the top is golden and a little crunchy. Let sit for AT LEAST 30 min before you cut it.

Voila! The lasagna smelled SOOOOO good cooking, I couldn't resist cutting myself a slice. This was a good 3 hours from start to finish...(and the kitchen isn't clean yet). I can think of a million ways to change this up. Using spinach in the white sauce, using chicken instead of beef, etc. I am sure with the right selections, you could make a healthier version with fat free cheeses, more veggies, etc. If you don't like sausages or mushrooms, omit those, add your favorite veggies. You can use ricotta in the white sauce if that's what you have or like. I prefer the cottage cheese. I like the texture and the moisture it adds. I might to to make another one with more veggies. I love zucchini in tomato sauce, so maybe I will make up something to do with zucchini....but I am getting ahead of myself. I have a plan, and I am doing our best to stick to it.

Danny ended up eating a late lunch today, so I didn't make the Chicken Mexican casserole, but I will make it tomorrow. No reason I can't "rearrange." I have to learn to be flexible.

Well those dishes aren't going to wash themselves....

2 comments:

  1. Dishes! my least favorite thing to do in the kitchen. This recipe sounds so good and pretty simple. Matt and I love spicy food.

    ReplyDelete