Monday, November 29, 2010

Dusted off the treadmill...

I can't remember the last time I was on the treadmill. I got it two years ago. For the first year I had it I used it a lot and it helped me lose 45 lbs. I was feeling GREAT!! Then BAM! I got pregnant last Christmas and took a long break from working out. Over a year since its been used. There its been right in my room. Collecting dust. I told myself I would use it pregnant. I never did. I told myself I would start right after the baby was born, never did. Now, 3 months later, I FINALLY plugged it in.

I have a long journey to complete and starting near the holidays isn't always the easiest thing to do, but my philosophy is better to start now and lose vs. gain more and have a bigger mountain to climb. From now until December 23rd, I will be on "a diet." Then I will allow myself a little bit of splurging, and then get right back on it again.

Where am I now? Well I currently weigh 5 lbs more than I weighed right after I had Jocelyn. So, I am heading in the wrong direction. That is only 15 lbs away from the most I have ever weighed. (A number I am keeping a secret until I feel comfortable to reveal.) I have done it before and I can do it again. I have never done this journey with a newborn, and never tried to lose weight while still nursing a baby, but those are obstacles I believe I can accomplish one way or another.

Why am I telling you? Well, I feel that if I am open and honest with my journey that maybe someone(s) will join me on it too. Also, by making a commitment to a group of people who are in and around all parts of my life I have to be real. I can't go ahead and post this blog about my weight loss, and then go into work tomorrow with a double-patty with extra cheese, a strawberry shake and large fries.

What's my commitment to myself? I will eat approximately 1700 per day, and work out for at least 30 minutes 3 times per week. I talked with Danny and he is going to help me stick to my commitment.

How am I doing this? I added an app to my phone (btw - I hate the word app. Is it really that hard to say APPLICATION?) to help me track my calories and track my workouts, weight loss, etc. This week my goal is to control my breakfast and lunch, and make it to the 3 workouts. Dinner is usually a little harder for me to figure out calories unless I put a lot of work into it. So, I am saving that for my accomplishment for next week or the week after.

What am I most worried about? Lots. I am worried about not sticking to it. Getting down on myself about food choices I make. Not working out because "I don't have time." Being tired. If you haven't noticed I love food. I just need to remind myself that there are alternatives for everything. Instead of indulging in a banana split with all the toppings, get a small serving of a smarter choice. Instead of a spaghetti dinner with garlic bread, lots of cheese, etc. I will choose whole wheat pasta and add more veggies instead of cheeses.

Well...I did 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight. I think I went about 1.5 miles in that time. 1/2 way through I hit the safety magnet and reset the darn clock. I usually do that when I am jogging, and it really ticks me off!!!!! I will take 1 day of rest and then try to workout again on Wednesday. I may even try to get in the gym at work and do some weights tomorrow. I think that really helped me last time. So here we go. Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment